Malala Day 2019: Best Inspirational Speeches by Malala Yousafzai on Education and EmpowermentJuly 12, 2019 12:00
(Image source from: Financial Times)
Malala Yousafzai, the youngest Nobel laureate stood for the education of women and children in her home region Swat Valley, Pakistan and her moving quotes to educate girl child has encouraged scores of people. July 12 is dedicated by United Nation as Malala Day which is her birthday.
On 12 July 2013, she delivered an impassioned speech about gender equality in education at the United Nations headquarters, which was so powerful that the UN soon declared the day to honor the young Pakistan human rights activist.
Malala not only stood against the banned Taliban terror group but also fought against their harsh interpretation of Islamic law which prohibited girls from attending school in Pakistan.
In 2012, she survived the near-fatal attack after a Taliban gunman boarded her school bus and shot her in the head. She then received specialist medical treatment in the United Kingdom where she was later granted asylum.
But that was just the start. She recovered from the shooting and began to work for the girl’s education in her hometown and each places possible in the world. She gained international attention and became a global icon.
Known for her powerful speeches and thought-provoking ideas to propagate girl child education in conflict-ridden regions, she has become a voice to fight against global illiteracy and terrorism. Not only she has made landmark speeches at the United Nations, but at several global platforms, which received a standing ovation from all delegates.
Here are some inspiring speeches by the most powerful and respected lady from Pakistan.
In every speech, Malala advocated for picking up books and pens, in order to wage a global struggle against illiteracy, poverty, and terrorism. She has not only been an inspiration but a voice of the million voiceless children who are waiting for a bright peaceful future.
Besides, here are some of the quotes that are encouraging millions across the globe:
1. “I tell my story, not because it is unique, but because it is not. It is the story of many girls.”
2. “Kindness can only be repaid with kindness. It can’t be repaid with expressions like ‘thank you’ and then forgotten.”
3. “With guns, you can kill terrorists, with the education you can kill terrorism.”
4. “I raise up my voice - not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard. We cannot succeed when half of us are held back.”
5. “Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow.” Education is neither Eastern nor Western, it is human.”
6. “Once I had asked God for one or two extra inches in height, but instead he made me as tall as the sky, so high that I could not measure myself.”
7. “We were scared, but our fear was not as strong as our courage.”
8. “When someone takes away your pens you realize quite how important education is.”
By Sowmya Sangam